Ruins at Pergamon, Probably of the Amphitheatre
- ca. 1750
- Watercolor with black ink over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper with gray wash
- Sheet: 14 15/16 x 21 1/4 inches (38 x 54 cm) and Image: 8 1/16 x 12 1/2 inches (20.5 x 31.7 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, upper left: "XVIII."; in black ink, within image: labels A-F; in graphite, lower center: "Amphitheatre 1/2 a mile from Pergamus."
watermark: "IV" [J. Villedary] in monogram (Churchill 408)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- amphitheater | arches | capitals | columns (architectural elements) | landscape | ruins
- Associated Places:
- Asia | Ege kiyilari | Izmir Ili | Pergamon | Turkey
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Giovanni Battista Borra, 1713–1770, Italian, Ruins at Pergamon, Probably of the Amphitheatre, ca. 1750
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.