Details of a Corinthian Temple on the Acropolis of Pergamon
- ca. 1750
- Black and brown ink with gray wash over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 21 1/4 x 14 13/16 inches (53.9 x 37.6 cm) and Image: 12 3/8 x 8 1/16 inches (31.5 x 20.5 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, upper left: "XIX."; in graphite, upper left "16"; in brown ink, within image: various measurements; lower center: "Sofitte dell Architraue"; in graphite, lower center: "Mouldings of Corinthean Temple in ruins on ye Castle hill near Pergamus"; in brown ink, on back, upper left: "Bergamo Tempio Corith nella Citadella"; on back, upper center: "7"; on back, lower center: "X"
watermark: Strasburg bend and lily with "WR" [Wendelin Riehel of Basle] in monogram (Churchill 408)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- acropolis | architectural subject | capital (column component) | columns | Corinthian (architectural style) | entablature | friezes | pediment | temple
- Associated Places:
- Asia | Ege kiyilari | Izmir Ili | Pergamon | Turkey
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Giovanni Battista Borra, 1713–1770, Italian, Details of a Corinthian Temple on the Acropolis of Pergamon, ca. 1750
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.