Details of a Corinthian Temple on the Acropolis of Pergamon
- ca. 1750
- Black and brown ink with gray wash over graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- 21 1/4 x 14 13/16 inches (53.9 x 37.6 cm) and 12 3/8 x 8 1/16 inches (31.5 x 20.5 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, upper left: "XIX."; in graphite, upper left "16"; in brown ink, within image: various measurements; lower center: "Sofitte dell Architraue"; in graphite, lower center: "Mouldings of Corinthean Temple in ruins on ye Castle hill near Pergamus"; in brown ink, on back, upper left: "Bergamo Tempio Corith nella Citadella"; on back, upper center: "7"; on back, lower center: "X"
watermark: Strasburg bend and lily with "WR" [Wendelin Riehel of Basle] in monogram (Churchill 408)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- acropolis | architectural subject | capital (column component) | columns | Corinthian (architectural style) | entablature | friezes | pediment | temple
- Associated Places:
- Asia | Ege kiyilari | Izmir Ili | Pergamon | Turkey
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Giovanni Battista Borra, 1713–1770, Italian, Details of a Corinthian Temple on the Acropolis of Pergamon, ca. 1750
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.