IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
James Lambert of Lewes, 1725–1788, British, Herstmonceux Castle, East Sussex: Ground Plan, undated
Herstmonceux Castle, East Sussex: Ground Plan
- Graphite, pen and black ink and watercolor on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 25 1/4 x 34 5/8 inches (64.1 x 87.9 cm)
Inscribed in pen and gray ink, lower center: "Ground Plan of Herstmonceaux Castle Sussex"; in pen and gray ink, lower left: "NB the Height of all the Rooms is 13 ft 6 In except when it is otherwise mark'd"; in pen and gray ink, throughout, plan labeled; in pen and gray ink, lower left, bar scale labeled "10" to "50 feet"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | castle | courtyard | floor plan | moat | turret
- Associated Places:
- East Sussex | England | Europe | Herstmonceux | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
John Howard Farrant, The drawings of Herstmonceaux Castle by James Lambert, senior and junior, 1776-7, Sussex Archaeological Collections, vol. 148, Sussex Archaeological Society, 2010, pp. 177-81, V 2312 (YCBA) Offprint [YCBA]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.