- Herstmonceux Castle
- Graphite on slightly textured, medium, white wove paper
- Sheet: 3 9/16 × 8 7/8 inches (9 × 22.5 cm) and Mount: 10 × 4 11/16 inches (25.4 × 11.9 cm)
Inscribed in pen and gray ink, lower center: "Herstmonceaux"; inscribed on verso in graphite, center: "Note: This is a very careful, though much reduced, | copy of the large water-color by Lambert | executed in 1777 immediately before the des- | truction, in my unique set of his drawings"; in graphite, lower right: "From the Coll.n of WHB Fletcher [...] | Aldwich Manor (fomerly Bersted [...] | Bo[...]"; in graphite, upper center: "Herstmonceaux | by J.L. Lewes"; in graphite, center: "10/6"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | castle | exterior | exterior view | house
- Associated Places:
- East Sussex | England | Europe | Herstmonceux | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
unknown artist, eighteenth century, Herstmonceux Castle, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.