IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
unknown artist, eighteenth century, Herstmonceux Castle, undated
- Graphite on slightly textured, medium, white wove paper
- Sheet: 3 9/16 × 8 7/8 inches (9 × 22.5 cm), Mount: 10 × 4 11/16 inches (25.4 × 11.9 cm)
Inscribed in pen and gray ink, lower center: "Herstmonceaux"; inscribed on verso in graphite, center: "Note: This is a very careful, though much reduced, | copy of the large water-color by Lambert | executed in 1777 immediately before the des- | truction, in my unique set of his drawings"; in graphite, lower right: "From the Coll.n of WHB Fletcher [...] | Aldwich Manor (fomerly Bersted [...] | Bo[...]"; in graphite, upper center: "Herstmonceaux | by J.L. Lewes"; in graphite, center: "10/6"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | castle | exterior | exterior view | house
- Associated Places:
- East Sussex | England | Europe | Herstmonceux | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.