Ascension of Madame Sage, Chevalier Biggin and Captain Vincent Lunardi in a Balloon, June 20, 1785
- Additional Title(s):
The Three Favorite Aerial Travelers
Ascension of Mrs. Letitia Anne Sage, Chevalier George Biggin, and Captain Vincenzo Lunardi, "The Daredevil Aeronaut," in a Balloon
- Stipple engraving, line engraving and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 9 15/16 × 13 1/8 inches (25.2 × 33.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "Bartolozzi, F. (aft. Rigaud)" | c"
Lettered, lower left: "Rigaud pinxit."; lettered, ower right: "F. Bartolozzi Sculp."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- altimeter | ambassador | assistant | benches | breeches (trousers) | coat | costume | cravat | curtain | curtains | dress | entertainment | feathers | fichu | flag | flying | fringe | gesture | hot air balloon | men | neckpiece | pilots | portrait | pose | rope | sky | travel | tricorne | Union Jack | velvet | women
- Associated People:
- Sage, Letitia Anne (née Hoare; ca.1750–1817) first British woman to fly
Lunardi, Vincenzo (1759–1806), balloonist
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi RA, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), Ascension of Madame Sage, Chevalier Biggin and Captain Vincent Lunardi in a Balloon, June 20, 1785, 1785
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.