Ascension of Madame Sage, Chevalier Biggin and Captain Vincent Lunardi in a Balloon, June 20, 1785
- Additional Title(s):
The Three Favorite Aerial Travelers
Ascension of Mrs. Letitia Anne Sage, Chevalier George Biggin, and Captain Vincenzo Lunardi, "The Daredevil Aeronaut," in a Balloon
- Stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate, to image): 9 15/16 x 13 1/8 inches (25.2 x 33.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "Bartolozzi, F. (aft. Rigaud)" | c"
Lettered in black ink, lower left, within image: "Rigaud pinxit."; lower right, within image: "F. Bartolozzi Sculp."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- altimeter | ambassador | assistant | benches | breeches (trousers) | coat | costume | cravat | curtain | curtains | dress | entertainment | feathers | fichu | flag | flying | fringe | gesture | hot air balloon | men | neckpiece | pilots | portrait | pose | rope | sky | travel | tricorne | Union Jack | velvet | women
- Associated People:
- Biggin, George
Sage, Letitia Anne (née Hoare; ca.1750–1817) first British woman to fly
Lunardi, Vincenzo (1759–1806), balloonist
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi RA, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), Ascension of Madame Sage, Chevalier Biggin and Captain Vincent Lunardi in a Balloon, June 20, 1785, 1785
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.