<< YCBA Home Yale Center for British Art Yale Center for British Art << YCBA Home

YCBA Collections Search

 
Creator:
Roger Morris, 1695–1749, British
Title:

Whitton Place, Middlesex: Elevation of the Garden Front

Former Title(s):

Design for Whitton House, Middlesex

Date:
between 1732 and 1739
Medium:
Graphite, pen and black ink, and gray wash on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper to a scale of 1/10 inch to 1 foot
Dimensions:
Sheet: 12 3/8 x 18 inches (31.4 x 45.7 cm)
Inscription(s)/Marks/Lettering:

Inscribed in pen and black ink, lower center: "South Front toward the Garden Letter A"

Credit Line:
Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
Copyright Status:
Public Domain
Accession Number:
B1977.14.1140
Classification:
Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
Collection:
Prints and Drawings
Subject Terms:
architectural subject | country house
Associated Places:
Middlesex
Access:
Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Link:
https://collections.britishart.yale.edu/catalog/tms:13933
Export:
XML

This drawing is part of a set of designs for Whitton Place, Middlesex, a villa begun in 1731 by Roger Morris (see drawings B1977.14.1138–44). In 1722, Archibald Campbell, first Earl of Ilay, later third Duke of Argyll, acquired forty acres of Crown land at Whitton, a hamlet about eight miles west of London. An experienced gardener, Ilay cultivated the land with exotic trees and plants. He and his brother John, second Duke of Argyll, were active builders from 1714 and often turned to James Gibbs for their commissions, including the greenhouse and folly at Whitton. Rather than the Tory Gibbs, however, Ilay commissioned the Whig architect Roger Morris. The small house was built on a forty-five-foot square plan with small single-bay projections on each of the four walls. Contemporary reports describe the first floor as decorated in chinoiserie and the ground floor as a museum of curiosities. William Chambers lived at Whitton Place later in the century. The building was demolished in the mid-nineteenth century. The south elevation is part of a set of drawings for a five-bay, three story house with a slightly shouldered plan and flanking office wings. The garden front has five bays with projecting ends, the round-headed entrance framed by a Gibbs surround. The principal floor has windows encased in full architraves, and the mezzanine floor is demarcated by oculus windows. The ground slopes so that the wings are single-story buildings from this aspect, as opposed to double-height buildings on the north front.

If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.