<< YCBA Home Yale Center for British Art Yale Center for British Art << YCBA Home

YCBA Collections Search

Creator:
Roger Morris, 1695–1749, British
Title:
Whitton House, Middlesex: Ground Floor Plan
Date:
between 1732 and 1739
Medium:
Graphite, pen and black ink and gray wash on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper to a scale of 1/10 inch to 1 foot
Dimensions:
Sheet: 12 3/8 x 18 3/16 inches (31.4 x 46.2 cm)
Inscription(s)/Marks/Lettering:

Inscribed in pen and black ink, lower center: “Ground floor plan of the House and offices Letter A”; in pen and black ink, left, ground floor plan of east wing labeled: “Kitchen | 24-0 ” By | 16-0”, “Scullerie”, “Butterie”, “10-“, “12-“, “Servants Eating Room | 16 Sqr”, “Back Court”; in pen and black ink, center, ground floor plan of center range labeled: “Entrance | 10-0 | By | 15-0”, “Servants Hall | 15-0 | By | 14-6”, “Corridor Lighted at the Ends”, “Larder | 7-6 | By | 16-6, Cellar | 19-6 | By | 15-0”, “Cellar | 19-6 | By | 15-0”, “Cellar | 7-6 | By | 16-6”; in pen and black ink, right, ground floor plan of west wing labeled: “Back Court”, “Dairie | 16 Sqr”, “Porter Lodge”, “12-“, “10-“, “Gyle House”, “Brewing | and | Wash House | 24- | By | 16-”, and radius of covered passage labeled “21-”

Watermark: fleur-de-lis within crowned cartouche and W below

Credit Line:
Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
Copyright Status:
Public Domain
Accession Number:
B1977.14.1142
Classification:
Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
Collection:
Prints and Drawings
Subject Terms:
architectural subject | country houses | floor plan | interior view
Associated Places:
England | Europe | Middlesex | United Kingdom
Access:
Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
Curatorial Comment:
<double click to display>
<double click to hide>

This drawing is part of a set of designs for Whitton Place, Middlesex, a villa begun in 1731 by Roger Morris (see drawings B1977.14.1138–44). In 1722, Archibald Campbell, first Earl of Ilay, later third Duke of Argyll, acquired forty acres of Crown land at Whitton, a hamlet about eight miles west of London. An experienced gardener, Ilay cultivated the land with exotic trees and plants. He and his brother John, second Duke of Argyll, were active builders from 1714 and often turned to James Gibbs for their commissions, including the greenhouse and folly at Whitton. Rather than the Tory Gibbs, however, Ilay commissioned the Whig architect Roger Morris. The small house was built on a forty-five-foot square plan with small single-bay projections on each of the four walls. Contemporary reports describe the first floor as decorated in chinoiserie and the ground floor as a museum of curiosities. William Chambers lived at Whitton Place later in the century. The building was demolished in the mid-nineteenth century. The ground floor plan is part of a set of drawings for a five-bay, three story house with a slightly shouldered plan and flanking office wings. The attached wings are set behind loggias that extend out in a curve and terminate in three-bay pavilions. The plan shows the ground floor of the house and offices. The house has a spine corridor lit by windows at both ends. Rooms at the south side of the building do not have windows. The north-facing side of the building has windows and contains rooms for servants and an entrance to the court.
Link:
https://collections.britishart.yale.edu/catalog/tms:13935
Export:
XML | RDF
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.