The Chelsea Pensioners Reading the Waterloo Dispatch
- Additional Title(s):
Sketch for David Wilkie's Painting "Chelsea Pensioners Reading the Gazette of the Battle of Waterloo"
- before 1822
- Brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper, mounted in moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Mount: 10 1/2 x 12 5/16 inches (26.6 x 31.2 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 6 5/8 x 8 15/16 inches (16.9 x 22.7 cm), and Sheet: 4 3/8 × 6 5/8 inches (11.1 × 16.8 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower center: "The Chelsea Pensioners"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "58"
Signed in brown ink, lower left: "Sir D. Wilkie R A."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buildings | Chelsea pensioners | crowd | figures | flags | genre subject | horse (animal) | men | retirement community | street | study (visual work) | tables | women
- Associated Places:
- Chelsea | England | Europe | Greater London | London | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Sir David Wilkie, 1785–1841, British, The Chelsea Pensioners Reading the Waterloo Dispatch, before 1822
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.