The Spoiled Child, Scene III
- Part Of:
- ca. 1802
- Watercolor with black ink and gray wash over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 1/2 x 19 1/2 inches (39.3 x 49.5 cm), Image: 13 3/8 x 18 7/8 inches (33.9 x 48 cm)
Multiple inscriptions in black ink throughout image; inscribed in black ink, lower left: "Contents of the | letter | Sir The Irish Giant Mr. O'burne, now in | this City being second Cousin to my Mother, the no | Relation of mine, I am desirous of having a Miniature | of him taken by you. I would have it for a bracelet | & She shall contrive to be with you on Sunday being | an Idle day at 12, when the people are all busy | at Church. If you are engagd put this by & read it | at your leisure only send an answer by ye. bearer. | from yours Sco. | Maria Crosby | P. S. While he is sitting let nobody be in the room"; lower center: "THE SPOIL'D CHILD Scene III | My dearest life! by Saturn's Orb I swear | My love shall last while your white breast shall wear | This trifling pledge of my fond heart's desires | More fierce than Hecta's flames or Etha's fires."; in graphite, on mount, lower right: "L. VASLET 84"; on back of mount, center: "L. VASLET | The Spoiled Child III"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | armed forces | artist | books | cane | canvas | chairs | child | comb | costume | cravats | crow (animal) | curtains | drapery | dresses | easels | feathers | fichu | flowers (plants) | genre subject | girl | hairstyling | humor | ink bottles | interior | letters | magnifying glass | men | miniature (painting) | mirrors | monkey (animal) | nobility | paintbrush | painter | paintings | palette | pedestals | portraits | rooster | satire | screen (furniture) | scroll (information artifact) | sword | tables | tail coats | teacup | tricorne | uniform | wig | woman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Lewis Vaslet, 1742–1808, British, The Spoiled Child, Scene III, ca. 1802
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.