Sebastopol, Sketched From The Deck of H. M. S. Sidon, Feb. 1855
- Additional Title(s):
Sevastopol, from the Black Sea, Feb. 1855
- Watercolor and gouache over graphite on thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 13 x 20 5/8 inches (33 x 52.4 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, lower left: "Wm. Simpson | Feby. 1855"
Signed and dated in brown watercolor, lower left: "Wm. Simpson | Feby. 1855"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cannons | deck | equipment | flags | genre subject | gesture | landscape | marine art | mountains | ropes | Royal Navy | sailors | sea | seamen | ship | talking | Union Jack | war
- Associated Places:
- Crimean Peninsula | Europe | Krym | Sebastopol | Ukraine
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
William Simpson, 1823–1899, British, Sebastopol, Sketched From The Deck of H. M. S. Sidon, Feb. 1855, 1855
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.