IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
John Bewick, 1760–1795, British, A Magpie, undated
- Watercolor, graphite and pen and black ink on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper mounted to moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 8 × 12 1/4 inches (20.3 × 31.1 cm), Mount: 10 × 14 1/4 inches (25.4 × 36.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left of mount: "D1210/ John Berwick 1760-1795 | On reverse, a landscape with figures mounted. Sheeps Wesheng Elthingham John Berwick, | Elizabethan in green truism : Thomas Berwick Bicentennial Exhibition: 1953Cat A036 ox by Thomas but I trust certainly"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | birds | branch | magpie | perch
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Elisabeth Fairman, Of green leaf , bird , and flower : artists' books and the natural world, Yale University Press, New Haven, 2014, ppp. 149, 229, N7650 .O4 2014 [ORBIS]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.