- Malvolio: Possibly a Self-Portrait in the Role
- Black and gray wash with pen and black ink, scraping, graphite, and red pencil on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 8 15/16 x 6 1/16 inches (22.7 x 15.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, center: "D 2956"
collector's stamp of the Paul Mellon Collection, in blue ink, on back, center, within two concentric circles: "PAUL MELLON | COLLECTION"
signed in black ink, within image, upper right: "J Boyn [remainder cropped off]"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cloak | costume | gesture | literary theme | man | plays by William Shakespeare | portrait | ring | Twelfth Night; or, What You Will, play by William Shakespeare
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
Malvolio (character in Twelfth Night)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Boyne, ca. 1750–1810, British, Malvolio: Possibly a Self-Portrait in the Role, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.