- Diana and Actaeon: A Study for a Panel on a Staircase
- Watercolor with pen and brown ink and pen and black ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 6 x 6 1/4in. (15.2 x 15.9cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, center left: "J[...] [J] Thornhill"
Paul Mellon collector's mark
Signed in graphite, verso, lower left: "J[...] [J] Thornhill"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Actaeon changed into a stag: as punishment for seeing her bathe, Diana changes Actaeon, the hunter, into a stag (Ovid, Metamorphoses III 193) | architectural subject | Cervidae (family) | curtains | dog (animal) | man | mythology | panel (wood) | putti | religious and mythological subject | staircase | study (visual work) | trees | women
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
follower of Sir James Thornhill, 1675–1734, British, Diana and Actaeon: A Study for a Panel on a Staircase, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.