IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
follower of Sir James Thornhill, 1675–1734, British, Diana and Actaeon: A Study for a Panel on a Staircase, undated
Diana and Actaeon: A Study for a Panel on a Staircase
- Watercolor with pen and brown ink and pen and black ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 6 x 6 1/4in. (15.2 x 15.9cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, center left: "J[...] [J] Thornhill"
Collector's mark, verso: Paul Mellon
Signed in graphite, verso, lower left: "J[...] [J] Thornhill"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Actaeon changed into a stag: as punishment for seeing her bathe, Diana changes Actaeon, the hunter, into a stag (Ovid, Metamorphoses III 193) | architectural subject | Cervidae (family) | curtains | dog (animal) | man | mythology | panel (wood) | putti | religious and mythological subject | staircase | study (visual work) | trees | women
- Associated People:
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.