The Royal Rush Light
- Additional Title(s):
The Royal Rush light!
- Watercolor, pen and ink over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 3/4 x 13 3/8 inches (40 x 34 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, center: "London Pub. by Willm. Holland, 50, Oxford St. June 25 - 1798"; in black ink, center: "The Royal Rush-light!"; in black ink, lower center: "A Set of Jolly fellows once together were all met | And tried with all their might efectually to crush light | But firm as a rock - on a Bench made of oak | Stood the taper Royal Rush light | They puff'd at the Rush light! | The steady Royal Rush light! | But all would not do | To BLOW OUT the Rush light !!"
Dated in brown ink, center: "1798"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- commentary | historical subject | humor | men | poem | poetry | rush lights | satire | treasury | waistcoats
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
George Moutard Woodward, ca. 1760–1809, British, The Royal Rush Light, Undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.