- Gouache on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 21 5/8 × 15 1/8 inches (54.9 × 38.4 cm)
Inscribed in pen and gray ink, lower left: "6/[?]5 | R"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "D2342/ P. Paillou of 1753-1778 | Inscription in the artist's hand. | c 1750-55. Capuchin (Cebus apella) | LGD | P. Paillou was the father of the | miniturist of that name. | b. Basil Long, British Miniaturists, Vol II. p325 | I have seen drawings by Paillou in this | series dated 1753 & 1754"; lower right: <575>; in pen and brown ink, lower right: [...]; lower right: [44(?)]; lower center: "m"
Paul Mellon collector's mark
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | monkey (animal) | perch
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Peter Paillou the younger, active 1757–1831, British, A Capuchin, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.