Studies of Anatomy, Measurements and Writing
- Additional Title(s):
- Brown ink and graphite on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 7 7/8 x 12 1/2 inches (20 x 31.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "JWD. RA"; upper center: "My method of ascertaining the proportions of the figure" In brown ink, lower center: "In Men the shoulders are square | from the point - | [...] Eyes the breadth of face in Women [...] off [...] triangle then | Head on 8th face one 10th. foot one 6th - | [...]the heighth of [...] | french doors are [...] therefore more elegant"; lower right: "breadth of nose | that [...]"
Signed in graphite, lower right: "JWD. RA"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- anatomical study | anatomy | child | inscriptions | man | measurement | proportion | woman | writing (processes)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
James Ward, 1769–1859, British, Studies of Anatomy, Measurements and Writing, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.