Landscape in Wales with Mountains, Lake, Castle and Two Figures in the Foreground
- Watercolor and graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 7 × 18 1/4 inches (17.8 × 46.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on sheet attached to mount, lower left: "Strong Girtin influence | lingers in this foreground. | mH. | middle distance shows the connection with Cotman | trees."; in black ink, on sheet attached to mount, lower center: "John Varley, P. W. S. | 1778=1842 | Welsh Landscape, with mountains, lake, castle, & two figures in foreground. | One of a pair, exactly the same size: the other signed on back, "J. Varley, 1815." | On "Whatman. Turkey Mills" paper. | Martin Hardie."; in graphite, on sheet attached to mount, lower right: "re-hinge to flatten- | open mount. cut off | [...] + attach"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- castle | clouds | figures | hills | lake | landscape | mountains | ruins | trees
- Associated Places:
- Cymru | Europe | United Kingdom | Wales
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
pupil of John Varley, 1778–1842, British, Landscape in Wales with Mountains, Lake, Castle and Two Figures in the Foreground, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.