God Creating the Universe
- Additional Title(s):
The Ancient of Days
- ca. 1800
- Graphite, and pen and brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 1/4 x 13 1/8 inches (23.5 x 33.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "The Ancient of Days in an orb of light surrounded | by dark clouds as referred to in the Proverbs VIII. 27 | stooping down with an enormous pair of compasses to | describe the destined orb ot the World - | (Blake) Paradise Lost | Book VII line 236"; in pen and brown ink, upper right: "'When he prepared the Heavens. | I was there, when he set a compass | upon the face of the depth' | Proverbs Chap 8 v 27"
T.E. Lewinsky collector's mark
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- calipers | clouds | compasses | creation | gods - classical mythology | man
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.