Study for the Oil Painting "The Children of Theophilus Levitt, Esquire."
- 1820 to 1830
- Black chalk and white chalk on medium, slightly texture, brown wove paper mounted moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 5 1/8 x 3 3/4 inches (13 x 9.5 cm) and Contemporary drawn border: 8 5/8 x 7 1/4 inches (21.9 x 18.4 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink on verso, center: "Design for Portraits of | the children of | Theophilus [?Levitt] Esq- | [...] at Winchner Park"
Signed in gray ink, lower left: "JW. RA."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- children | donkey | genre subject | study (visual work)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
James Ward, 1769–1859, British, Study for the Oil Painting "The Children of Theophilus Levitt, Esquire.", 1820 to 1830
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.