Mr. Edwin and Mrs. Wells in the Characters of Lingo and Cowslip
- ca. 1787
- Stipple engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper, pasted on mount
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 19 x 13 1/4 inches (48.2 x 33.7 cm) and Image (oval): 16 x 12 3/16 inches (40.7 x 30.9 cm)
Lettered in black ink, along lower left border of oval image: "Jno. Downman delt."; along lower right border of oval image: "Hugh Downman sculpt."; lower center: "MR. EDWIN AND MRS. WELLS, | IN THE CHARACTERS OF LINGO AND COWSLIP. | Published [...] Act of Parliament. June 17. 17[...]. by H. Downman, Watworth."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- actors | bowl (vessel) | costume | cravat | fichu | frock coat | gesture | gown | hat | man | muslin | performance | play | ribbon | ruffle | The Agreeable Surprise, play by John O'Keeffe, 1781 | theater (discipline) | wig | woman
- Associated People:
- Cowslip (character in The Agreeable Surprise)
Lingo (character in The Agreeable Surprise)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Hugh Downman, d. 1789, Mr. Edwin and Mrs. Wells in the Characters of Lingo and Cowslip, ca. 1787
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.