Rome from San Spirito
- Brown wash black chalk and graphite with white chalk on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 14 1/8 x 23 3/8 inches (35.9 x 59.4 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in graphite, lower left: "Rome | from the Vigna di S. Spirito"; in graphite, verso, center: "Samuel Palmer"; in graphite, verso, lower center: "Given to me by A.H. Palmer | the title on the left & SP on right | are Samuel Palmer's autograph. | Martin Hardie"; in graphite, verso, lower right: "The water-colour from this drg was bought by A Finberg (Cotswold Gallery) at Christie's | in 1926 exhd by him at the Cotswold Gally."
Signed in graphite, lower right: "S. P's autograph AP"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cityscape | Grand Tour | landscape
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Italy | Lazio | Roma | Rome
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), Rome from San Spirito, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.