- Gray wash and pen and black ink on very thick, cream, moderately textured laid paper
- Sheet: 19 1/2 x 27 1/8 inches (49.5 x 68.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, upper center: "T11130"; in graphite, verso, lower left: "D3469 9 114/30"; in graphite, verso, lower center: "Written by Col Gravatt | Done with French chalk ground up | with a little India ink"; in graphite, verso, lower center: "View of Woolrich Warren W Gravatt | written by Paul Sandby R.A."; in graphite, verso, lower right: "Paul Sandby R.A. | A View in Woolwich Warren| Sandby was appointed in Aug, 1768, chief drawing | master at the Royal Military Academy at Woolwich | a position which he held until the end of 1796 when | retired on a pension. | Collection of Col. W. Gravatt, 1867 | Collection of Wiliam Sandby Esq. | Exhibited Midland Counties Art Museum Nottingham | Castle, No. 132 1884 | Collection of G.J.A. Peake great grandson of L | Thomas Sandby | Collection of Hubert Peake"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cart | children | dogs (animals) | flag | horses (animals) | portrait | river | ship | trees | women
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Greater London | Thames | United Kingdom | Woolwich
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.