- Gray wash and pen and black ink on very thick, cream, moderately textured laid paper
- Sheet: 19 1/2 x 27 1/8 inches (49.5 x 68.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, upper center: "T11130"; in graphite, verso, lower left: "D3469 9 114/30"; in graphite, verso, lower center: "Written by Col Gravatt | Done with French chalk ground up | with a little India ink"; in graphite, verso, lower center: "View of Woolrich Warren W Gravatt | written by Paul Sandby R.A."; in graphite, verso, lower right: "Paul Sandby R.A. | A View in Woolwich Warren| Sandby was appointed in Aug, 1768, chief drawing | master at the Royal Military Academy at Woolwich | a position which he held until the end of 1796 when | retired on a pension. | Collection of Col. W. Gravatt, 1867 | Collection of Wiliam Sandby Esq. | Exhibited Midland Counties Art Museum Nottingham | Castle, No. 132 1884 | Collection of G.J.A. Peake great grandson of L | Thomas Sandby | Collection of Hubert Peake"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cart | children | dogs (animals) | flag | horses (animals) | portrait | river | ship | trees | women
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Greater London | Thames | United Kingdom | Woolwich
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.