The Westgate, Canterbury
- ca. 1783
- Gouache and graphite on thin, slightly textured, cream laid paper mounted on panel
- Sheet: 16 1/2 x 23 1/2 inches (41.9 x 59.7 cm) and Mount: 16 1/2 x 23 1/2 inches (41.9 x 59.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back of panel, upper left: "26"; in pen and brown ink, on back of panel, center: "View of Canterbury in Water | Colour by Paul Sandby"; in graphite, on back of panel, center: "D28786"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | Bridges | canterbury | flags | gatehouse | men | mills | river | waterwheels | women
- Associated Places:
- Canterbury | England | Europe | Kent | Stour | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Paul Sandby RA, 1731–1809, British, The Westgate, Canterbury, ca. 1783
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.