- Characters in the Streets of London
- Brown wash with pen and brown ink on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 11 7/8 x 15 13/16 inches (30.2 x 40.2 cm) and Image: 9 1/16 x 12 7/8 inches (23 x 32.7 cm)
Inscribed on verso in pen with brown ink, upper center: "Characters in the Streets of London. | Benj'm West"; in graphite, lower right: "BENJAMIN WEST: CHARACTERS IN THE | STREETS OF LONDON"; in graphite, lower right: "75/2/3/10"
Signed and dated in brown ink, lower left: "B. West | 1799"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- aprons | baskets | bench | dresses | drinking | fish | food | genre subject | hats | men | milkmaid | sitting | standing | women
- Associated Places:
- England | London | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Benjamin West, 1738–1820, American, active in Britain (from 1763), Characters in the Streets of London, 1799
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.