IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
James Bruce, 1730–1794, British, Temple at Baalbec: Architectural Detail of Entablature of Amphitheatre of Vespesian, undated
Temple at Baalbec: Architectural Detail of Entablature of Amphitheatre of Vespesian
- Graphite, pen and brown ink on medium thick, slightly textured, white laid paper
- Sheet: 6 5/8 × 11 inches (16.8 × 27.9 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, lower right: calculations and "Amphitheatre of | Vespasian", "Arena | 273 ft long | 173 ft wide | Circumference exterior 1566 ft"; in pen and brown ink, throughout, dimensions given; in graphite, upper center, calculations given
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.