- Woman in a Turban Carrying Lilies
- Graphite and watercolor on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 1/2 × 8 3/4 inches (29.2 × 22.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper center: "This is the size of the Soho of the look the figure should be half an inch less"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "in a loose blue calico shift I would have her walking the __"; in pen and brown ink, lower center: "be so broad nor thick the Horns before a little larger & more visible. The upper ornament that rests upon them is a kind of Muff Hollow within wherein they carry aromatis herbs & flowers & should not therefore be so hard or turpid but a little softened & size back more."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
James Bruce, 1730–1794, British, Woman in a Turban Carrying Lilies, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.