- Part Of:
- Line engraving, etching and stipple engraving (intermediate state, between completed E.P. and 1st state) on thick, moderately textured, beige, wove paper
- Sheet: 11 1/2 × 17 1/2 inches (29.2 × 44.5 cm), Plate: 9 1/16 × 12 inches (23 × 30.5 cm), and Image: 5 7/8 × 8 5/8 inches (14.9 × 21.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.91. Intermediate state, between completed E.P. and 1st state."; inscribed in graphite, upper right: "[...] 2 | (9)"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Between | R.91. [?] latest E.P. and first state | Intermediate | Weymouth"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "x Before 'lette, I think, AJF | before [...] darkened, before [...] do - befoe light ray above [...] | Proof, taken after the title was added in Roman Capitals, but with those capitals removed or blocked out in printing"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "AWEP4 | "W.S.R."; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "P/I/- | A.W."
stamp, verso, lower left: "10194"; stamp, verso, lower right: "W.G. Rawlinson.s Sale | 28,3,16 | A.W.
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner, R.A."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by W.B.Cooke"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- channel (water body component) | marine art
- Associated Places:
- Dorset | England | English Channel | Europe | United Kingdom | Weymouth | Weymouth Bay
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Bernard Cooke, 1778–1855, British, Weymouth, 1814-1826
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.