- Part Of:
Collective Title: Cooke's Picturesque Views of the Southern Coast of England
- Line engraving, etching and stipple engraving (intermediate state, between completed E.P. and 1st state) on thick, moderately textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 11 1/2 × 17 1/2 inches (29.2 × 44.5 cm), Plate: 9 1/16 × 12 inches (23 × 30.5 cm), Image: 5 7/8 × 8 5/8 inches (14.9 × 21.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.91. Intermediate state, between completed E.P. and 1st state."; inscribed in graphite, upper right: "[...] 2 | (9)"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Between | R.91. [?] latest E.P. and first state | Intermediate | Weymouth"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "x Before 'lette, I think, AJF | before [...] darkened, before [...] do - befoe light ray above [...] | Proof, taken after the title was added in Roman Capitals, but with those capitals removed or blocked out in printing"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "AWEP4 | "W.S.R."; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "P/I/- | A.W."
stamp, verso, lower left: "10194"; stamp, verso, lower right: "W.G. Rawlinson.s Sale | 28,3,16 | A.W.
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner, R.A."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by W.B.Cooke"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- channel (water body component) | marine art
- Associated Places:
- Dorset | England | English Channel | Europe | United Kingdom | Weymouth | Weymouth Bay
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by William Bernard Cooke, 1778–1855, British, Weymouth, 1814-1826
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.