The Mewstone, Entrance of Plymouth Sound
- Part Of:
- Etching and line engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 12 5/8 × 16 inches (32.1 × 40.6 cm), Plate: 8 15/16 × 11 15/16 inches (22.7 × 30.3 cm), and Image: 6 5/16 × 9 1/2 inches (16 × 24.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.97."; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R.97. Etching; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "A.W."
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner, Esq. R.A. | The Mew Stone. Entrance of Plymouth Sound"; lettered, lower right: "Etched by W.B. Cooke, 1815."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bay (body of water) | island | sound
- Associated Places:
- Devon | England | Europe | Great Mew Stone | Plymouth Sound | United Kingdom | Wembury Bay
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Bernard Cooke, 1778–1855, British, The Mewstone, Entrance of Plymouth Sound, 1815
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.