Plymouth from Mount Batten
- Part Of:
- Etching and engraving, Engraver's proof (touched) on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper, with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 10 7/16 × 14 5/8 inches (26.5 × 37.1 cm), Plate: 9 × 11 7/8 inches (22.9 × 30.2 cm), Chine collé: 8 13/16 × 11 7/8 inches (22.4 × 30.2 cm), and Image: 6 3/8 × 9 7/16 inches (16.2 × 24 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, center left: "[200p] houses T.C. | sea [...]"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R.100 E.P. 2. Touched proof | unfinished"; inscribed in graphite, upper right: "29"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "R100 |100. Eng Pf.3"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower center: "A.W | Touched by Turner (m pencil, reflection of rocks in distance on extreme left, roff of houses in centre, er.)"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner R.A. | Plymouth from Mount Batten"; lettered, lower right: "by W.B. Cooke 1817."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- churches | citadel | cityscape | marine art | martello tower | sound
- Associated Places:
- Charles Church | Devon | England | Europe | Minster Church of St. Andrew | Mount Batten Tower | Plymouth | Plymouth Sound | The Royal Citadel | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Bernard Cooke, 1778–1855, British, Plymouth from Mount Batten, 1817
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.