Torbay from Brixham
- Part Of:
Collective Title: Cooke's Picturesque Views of the Southern Coast of England
- Etching and line engraving; first published state on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper, with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 11 5/8 × 17 inches (29.5 × 43.2 cm), Plate: 9 × 12 inches (22.9 × 30.5 cm), Image: 6 1/4 × 9 1/2 inches (15.9 × 24.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.111."; upper right: "54 | 40"; lower left: "499 | R.111. E.P. 3."; lower center: "^? pencil marks on clouds"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "Edw. Barrett [...] | Sotheby 23.11.20 | 30 @ [...]."
Lettered below image: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner R.A. | Engraved by W.B. Cooke | Torbay from Brixham"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- channel (water body component) | harbour | landscape (representation) | marine art
- Associated Places:
- Brixham | Brixham Harbour | Devon | England | English Channel | Europe | Torbay | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
The Romantic Print in Britain - Yale Center for British Art (Carnegie Museum of Art, 2004-02-14 - 2004-05-09) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
The Romantic Landscape Prints - The Chiaroscuro of Nature (Yale Center for British Art, 2002-09-25 - 2002-12-29) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]