- Part Of:
- Etching and line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 3/4 × 17 1/4 inches (29.8 × 43.8 cm), Plate: 9 × 12 inches (22.9 × 30.5 cm), and Image: 6 1/4 × 9 7/8 inches (15.9 × 25.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left : "R 113"; upper right: "45"; lower left: "the broken timbers of wreck C.J altered and darkened in [...] state and small spray over C.J. wreck added. | R.113 | E.P. (a)"; lower right: "4 state"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "AW/- Ward 2/5/11"; lower center: "A. Wallis"
Lettered below image: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner. R.A. | Engraved by George Cooke 1823 | MARGATE."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cityscape | headland | lighthouse | marine art | sea
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Foreness Point | Kent | Margate | Margate Lighthouse | North Sea | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Bernard Cooke, 1778–1855, British, Margate, 1823
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.