- Part Of:
Collective Title: Cooke's Picturesque Views of the Southern Coast of England
- Etching and line engraving; engraver's proof touched on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper, with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 11 3/4 × 17 1/4 inches (29.8 × 43.8 cm), Plate: 9 × 12 inches (22.9 × 30.5 cm), Chine collé: 8 7/8 × 11 3/4 inches (22.5 × 29.8 cm), Image: 6 1/4 × 9 1/4 inches (15.9 × 23.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, starting lower left and moving along edge of sheet: "[...] in the sky rather too dark | [...] | a little more engraving [...] lifted [...] | [...] give together [...] striving | The buoy was lightened and obviously [...] that it looks like from grating with [...] [...] is the [...] far from [...] [...] or known little [...] | Black ocean [...] dark to make [...] sails the [...] vertical [...] [...] | [...] [...] [...] shorter on the waves."; inscribed on verso in black ink, center: "Edinburgh | Drummond Street | Engraver | WM Miller | 102; lower center: "WM Miller Drummond Street | Engraver | Edinburgh."
Collector's mark: W. G. Rawlinson (Lugt 2624); postmark on verso in red ink [...] W 21 E 1826; postmark in black ink: "JA F 19 1826"
Lettered below image: "Drawn by J.M.W. Turner R.A. | Etched by William Miller 1825 | Portsmouth Hampshire."
Signed in graphite, lower left: "JMW Turner"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bay (body of water) | cathedral | cityscape | harbor | marine art | tower (single built work)
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Hampshire | Portsmouth | Portsmouth Cathedral | Portsmouth Harbor | Square Tower | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by William Miller, 1796–1882, British, Portsmouth, Hampshire, 1825
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.