Girl in a Brown Dress
- Watercolor over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 8 13/16 x 5 1/8 inches (22.4 x 13 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper center: "Powell / Laua(?) beige / gold / 11 x 16 portrait"; on back, center: "Joshua Cristall OWCS. | 1767-1847 | R W. S. 1816 + 1819 and again 1821 to 183[remainder cropped off] | Same artist who suffers in public estimation | [portion cropped off] fact that he is represented in public galleries | [portion cropped off] laboured and highly finished work | [portion cropped off] far less aesthetically satisfying than | [portion cropped off] sketches"; on back, lower center: "Iolo A. Williams | "Early English Watercolours" | page 219"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- apron | back | dress | figure study | girl | leaning | resting | standing | thoughtful | woman
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Joshua Cristall, 1768–1847, British, Girl in a Brown Dress, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.