Destruction of Both Houses of Parliament
- Part Of:
- Line engraving, engraver's proof on thick, slightly textured, beige, wove paper, with beige, chine colle
- Sheet: 16 1/8 × 11 1/2 inches (41 × 29.2 cm), Plate: 8 1/2 × 5 3/8 inches (21.6 × 13.7 cm), Chine collé: 8 3/8 × 5 1/16 inches (21.3 × 12.9 cm), and Image: 4 3/4 × 3 5/8 inches (12.1 × 9.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper left: "R.332"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Engraver's Proof | Keepsake | Burning of the House of Parliament [...] 1835"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "St. Marks impr. has - left J.M.W. Turner R.A. - R-J.T.Williamson | Center [...] Destruction of both Houses of Parliament | by [...] oct. 16. 1834."; inscribed in graphite, vero, lower right: "Above plate mark London Published by 1835 for the Proprietor [...]"
Collector's stamp: W.G.R.
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | cityscape | historical subject | palace | river
- Associated Places:
- House of Commons | London | Palace of Westminster | Thames | Westminster
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James T. Willmore, 1800–1863, British, Destruction of Both Houses of Parliament, 1835
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.