Memorials to Richard Carmarden and Thomas Wigg, Chislehurst
- Former Title(s):
The Environs of London: An Unidentified Tombstone and Memorial to Richard Carmarden, from Chiselhurst Church
- Part Of:
- between 1796 and 1811
- Pen and black ink, watercolor and gouache over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 14 × 11 1/8 inches (35.6 × 28.3 cm)
Inscribed in pen and black ink, upper left: "Chisclhurst Vol XVI page 349"; inscribed, upper right: "325"; inscribed, center left: "SCALE, 1/2 INCH TO A FOOT"; inscribed, center right: "SCALE, 1/2 AN INCH TO A FOOT."; inscribed, center left: "SCALE, 6 INCHES TO A FOOT"; inscribed, center right: "SCALE, 6 INCHES TO A FOOT."; inscribed, lower right: "SCALE, 4 INCHES TO A FOOT."
Lettered inside image in black ink, lower right: "Hic Iacet Ricardvs Carmarden Armiger sv | pvisor cvstvmae et svbsidia in portv | Londo obijt XVIjth die Septembriss | Anno Domini 1603 AEtatis svae 67"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | church | memorial
- Associated Places:
- Bromley | Chislehurst | England | Greater London | London | St. Nicholas' Church | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Daniel Lysons, 1762–1834, British, Memorials to Richard Carmarden and Thomas Wigg, Chislehurst, between 1796 and 1811
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.