A Harbour; Breakwater Left, Small Boats Moored Alongside a Quay with Figures Right
- Watercolor with brown ink and gouache over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, green-beige wove paper
- Sheet: 4 5/8 × 7 13/16 inches (11.7 × 19.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "Clear edge of me- | from the edges stay on | [...] board to show | 1/4 all round Flush back"; on back, lower right: "this right hand |corner can be [...] | oul so don cal (?)"; on mount, lower left: "Samuel PROUT (follower of)"; on mount, lower center: "A Harbour; Breakwater left, small boats moored alongside | a quay with figures right"; on back of mount, center: "Samuel Prout (follower of) | A Harbour; breakwater left, small boats | moored alongside a quay with figures right"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | breakwater | buildings | cargo | chimneys | cityscape | dock | genre subject | harbor | marine art | men | quay | ropes | sailboats | sails | sea | seamen | waves (natural events)
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Follower of Samuel Prout, 1783–1852, British, A Harbour; Breakwater Left, Small Boats Moored Alongside a Quay with Figures Right, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.