A Harbour; Breakwater Left, Small Boats Moored Alongside a Quay with Figures Right
- Watercolor with brown ink and gouache over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, green-beige wove paper
- Sheet (cropped to image): 4 5/8 x 7 13/16 inches (11.7 x 19.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "Clear edge of me- | from the edges stay on | [...] board to show | 1/4 all round Flush back"; on back, lower right: "this right hand |corner can be [...] | oul so don cal (?)"; on mount, lower left: "Samuel PROUT (follower of)"; on mount, lower center: "A Harbour; Breakwater left, small boats moored alongside | a quay with figures right"; on back of mount, center: "Samuel Prout (follower of) | A Harbour; breakwater left, small boats | moored alongside a quay with figures right"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | breakwater | buildings | cargo | chimneys | cityscape | dock | genre subject | harbor | marine art | men | quay | ropes | sailboats | sails | sea | seamen | waves (natural events)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Follower of Samuel Prout, 1783–1852, British, A Harbour; Breakwater Left, Small Boats Moored Alongside a Quay with Figures Right, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.