- Quagga Zebra
- ca. 1824
- Watercolor and graphite with pen and black ink on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 7 1/4 x 8 7/8in. (18.4 x 22.5cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "This addition [...] | the apperance but | does not [...] with | the measure | may not the meek be [...] | more upright and of coarse | the head [...] back?"; in pen and brown ink, lower center: "Scale, one inch to a foot | lenght 12 hands, 3 inches | height 10 hands 1 inch"; on verso in graphite, upper right: "2"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | grass | zebra (mammal)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Christopher Plumb, Zebra, Reaktion Books, London, UK, p. 87, QL737.U62 P58 2018 (LC) (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
James Sowerby, 1756–1822, British, Quagga Zebra, ca. 1824
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.