Portia and Bassanio
- Former Title(s):
- ca. 1826
- Watercolor and gouache over graphite on medium, cream, slightly textured wove paper
- Sheet: 6 1/2 x 5 1/8 inches (16.5 x 13 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in pen and brown ink lower left: "R P Bonington"
Signed in pen and brown ink lower left: "R P Bonington"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- literary theme | plays by William Shakespeare | The Merchant of Venice, play by William Shakespeare
- Associated People:
- Portia (character in The Merchant of Venice)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Acquisitions : The First Decade 1977-1986, Yale Center for British Art , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 1986, pp. 4, 24, no. 73, color plate 3, N590.2 A7 OVERSIZE (YCBA)
Paul Mellon's Legacy, a passion for British art. [large print labels] , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 2007, N5220 M552 +P381 2007, Mellon Shelf (YCBA)
Duncan Robinson, Acquisitions : The First Decade 1977 - 1986, , Burlington Magazine, vol. 128, October 1986, pp. 4, 24, no. 73, color pl. . 3, N1 B87 128:3 OVERSIZE (YCBA)