Seashore with Two Figures and a Distant Town
- Watercolor and pen and brown ink on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- 3 9/16 x 5 1/2 inches (9 x 13.9 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, on sheet attached to mount, lower left: "John Varley | seashore, with two figures and distant town | Collection: Lady Jane Harriet Pley dell Bouverie, | d. of Wm. 3rd Earl of Radnor; married | William Ellice, 1847-"; on sheet attached to mount, lower center: "Martin Hardie."; in graphite, on sheet attached to mount, lower right: "A | In perfect condition | Always kept in Album | by [...]"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- dock | figures | landscape | piers | rocks (landforms) | sea | ships | ships | shore (landform) | town
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John Varley, 1778–1842, British, Seashore with Two Figures and a Distant Town, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.