The Hindostan at Anchor in the Strait of Mi-a-tau of the City of Ten-choo-fou at the Entrance to the Gulf of Pekin
- Additional Title(s):
Graphite Sketches of Horizon
- Watercolor, pen and brown ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, blued white laid paper
- Sheet: 8 1/8 x 15 1/16 inches (20.6 x 38.2 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite, upper left: "Lightish"; in pen and brown ink, center: "NNW."; in graphite, lower center: "Red | Sails | Lighter | Red"
Signed in black ink, lower left: "W Alexander f."; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- East Indiaman | flags | gulf | marine art | men | Royal Navy | sailboats | seamen | ships | strait | wind
- Associated Places:
- Asia | China
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
William Alexander, 1767–1816, British, The Hindostan at Anchor in the Strait of Mi-a-tau of the City of Ten-choo-fou at the Entrance to the Gulf of Pekin, 1793
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.