The South-West View of Battel-Abbey, in the County of Sussex
- Additional Title(s):
The South-West View of Battle-Abbey, in the County of Sussex
- Etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 3/16 x 17 13/16 inches (28.4 x 45.3 cm), Plate: 7 9/16 x 14 5/8 inches (19.2 x 37.1 cm), Image: 5 5/8 x 13 5/8 inches (14.3 x 34.6 cm)
Lettered, upper center: "THE SOUTH-WEST VIEW OF BATTEL-ABBEY, IN THE COUNTY OF SUSSEX."; lower left next to image: "1."; lower left under image: "To S:r THOMAS WEBSTER Bar:t | Proprietor of this ABBEY, _____________ | This Prospect is humbly Inscrib'd by ___ | his much Oblig'd Serv:ts _____ | Sam:l & Nath:l Buck"; lower center under image: "(coat of arms with dragons heard , two lions and a diagonal ribbon)"; lower right under image: "THIS Abby Standing on Ue Very Spot ... [long text on history of abby, finishing with cost of the land when purchased]. Sam:l & Nath:l Buck del: & Sculp. Publisht according to Act of Parliament March 25th 1737"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | arches | architectural subject | fences | fields | gardens | gates | houses | orchards | plants | stained glass | towers | turrets | walls | windows
- Associated Places:
- Battle | Battle Abbey | East Sussex | England | Sussex | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by Samuel Buck, 1696–1779, British, The South-West View of Battel-Abbey, in the County of Sussex, 1737
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.