- The South-West View of Battel-Abbey, in the County of Sussex
- Etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 3/16 x 17 13/16 inches (28.4 x 45.3 cm), Plate: 7 9/16 x 14 5/8 inches (19.2 x 37.1 cm), and Image: 5 5/8 x 13 5/8 inches (14.3 x 34.6 cm)
Lettered, upper center: "THE SOUTH-WEST VIEW OF BATTEL-ABBEY, IN THE COUNTY OF SUSSEX."; lower left next to image: "1."; lower left under image: "To S:r THOMAS WEBSTER Bar:t | Proprietor of this ABBEY, _____________ | This Prospect is humbly Inscrib'd by ___ | his much Oblig'd Serv:ts _____ | Sam:l & Nath:l Buck"; lower center under image: "(coat of arms with dragons heard , two lions and a diagonal ribbon)"; lower right under image: "THIS Abby Standing on Ue Very Spot ... [long text on history of abby, finishing with cost of the land when purchased]. Sam:l & Nath:l Buck del: & Sculp. Publisht according to Act of Parliament March 25th 1737"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- abbey | arches | architectural subject | fences | fields | gardens | gates | houses | orchards | plants | stained glass | towers | turrets | walls | windows
- Associated Places:
- Battle | Battle Abbey | East Sussex | England | Sussex | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Buck, 1696–1779, British, The South-West View of Battel-Abbey, in the County of Sussex, 1737
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.