Shanklin Chine, Isle of Wight
- Gouache over graphite on medium, moderately textured, beige, wove paper, mounted on thick, slightly textured, brown, wove paper
- Mount: 15 3/4 x 20 1/8 inches (40 x 51.1 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 13 15/16 x 18 7/16 inches (35.4 x 46.8 cm), and Sheet: 13 3/8 x 17 7/8 inches (34 x 45.4 cm)
Verso: inscribed in artist's hand, with pen in brown ink, lower right: "Shanklin Chine - | Isle of Wight-"; in graphite, in contemporary hand, lower right: "D/WINT [?] | + GOLD FRAME | 14";
Signed in pen and black ink, lower right: "P.S.MUNN. delL | 1797"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beach | boats | cliffs | figures | fishing | landscape | water
- Associated Places:
- Isle of Wight | Shanklin
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Paul Sandby Munn, 1773–1845, British, Shanklin Chine, Isle of Wight, 1797
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.