A Lesson Westward - or A Morning Visit to Betsy Cole
- Mezzotint and etching, hand-colored with gummed gouache on moderately thick, slightly textured, gray laid paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 13 7/16 x 9 13/16 inches (34.2 x 25 cm) and Image: 12 1/2 x 9 13/16 inches (31.7 x 25 cm)
Lettered, center inside image: "TOM LONGTROT's | ACADEMY for YOUNG LADIES | Driving taught to an Inch, | Ladies compleatly finish'd | in a fortnight, for | Gig, Whiskey, or Phaeton: | Single Lesson half a Crown, | Five for half a Guinea."; lower left: "466| 'Hammersmith'| Printed for & Sold by CARINGTON BOWLES,"; lower center: " 'A LESSON WESTWARD__Or a MORNING VISIT to BETSY COLE.| When once the Women take the Reins in hand;| 'Tis then too true, that Men have no command.'| Published as the Act Directs"; lower right: " 'Turnpike.'| at No. 69 in St. Pauls Church Yard, LONDON"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- academies | brothels | caricature | carriage | carriages | cart | courtesans | dresses | dresses | driving | genre subject | hats | hats | horses (animals) | houses | illustration | jewelry | ladies | learning | piglets | pigs | prostitutes | roads | satire | stripes | wheat | wheels | women
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Robert Dighton, 1752–1814, British, A Lesson Westward - or A Morning Visit to Betsy Cole, 1782
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.