- On the Zwcilutzen - Near Interlaken/ Canton of Berne/ The Jungfrau in the Distance
- ca. 1817
- Pen and black ink, black wash, gray wash, white gouache, and graphite on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige, wove paper
- Sheet: 13 × 16 3/4 inches (33 × 42.5 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, verso, upper center: "The Inscription, carved on the Rock | HIER. WARD. DER. FREY. | HERR. VON. ROTENFLU. | VON. SEINEM. BRUDER. | ERSCHLAGEN. | DER. HEIMATLOSE. MORDER. | IN. BANN. ACHT. UND. | VERZWEIFLUNG. SCHLOSS. | IM. FERNEN. AUSLANDE. | SEINEN. EINST. | MACHTIGEN. STAMM"; inscribed in pen and brown ink, verso, center: "At this spot - The Baron Von Rotenflu | was slain by his brother. | The murderer, inscribed, banished | without country, and in despair, | ended, in a distant land, his once. | powerful race. -"; inscribed in pen and brown ink, verso, upper right: "On the Zweilutzen - near Interlacken | Canton of Berne | The Jungfrau in the distance"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Associated Places:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Isaac Weld, 1774–1856, Irish, On the Zwcilutzen - Near Interlaken/ Canton of Berne/ The Jungfrau in the Distance, ca. 1817
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.