- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 19 x 23 inches (48.3 x 58.4 cm) and Image: 18 1/2 x 23 inches (47 x 58.4 cm)
Inscribed on back in graphite upper center: "D D"
Lettered lower left: "G. Stubbs pinxt. J. Dixon fecit"; lower right: "J. Dixon fecit."; lower center: "A TIGRESS. | In the Pofsession of His Grace the Duke of Marlborough, to whom this Plate is most humbly dedicated by his Graces most dutiful & obedient Servt. John Dixon. | Publish'd according to Act of Parliament, 1st. Feby, 1773, & sold by J. Boydell Cheapside S. Hooper Ludgate Hill, T. Bradford Fleet Street, T. Burford Bridge Street Westminster, & J. Dixon Kempe's Row, facing Ranelagh Walk, near the Whim, Chelsea."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | forest | plants | rocks (landforms) | tiger | tigers | tigress
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
A Zebra, a tigress and a cheetah : new light on Geirge Stubbs's exotic animal subjects, British Art Journal, Vol. 15, Autumn 2014, p. 101, pl. 2, N6761 B74 OVERSIZE (YCBA)