Mail Coach Behind Time
- Materials & Techniques:
- Aquatint, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 13/16 x 20 3/16 inches (40.2 x 51.2 cm), Plate: 15 13/16 x 20 3/16 inches (40.2 x 51.2 cm), Image: 14 7/16 x 19 3/4 inches (36.7 x 50.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "5088[...] 22"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "[...]"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "20"; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "- 4325"
Watermark: "RUSE & TURNERS"
Lettered lower left below image: "Painted by H. Walter."; lettered lower center below image: "London. Published by Thos. Mc.Lean, 26, Haymarket. 1827."; lettered lower right below image: "Engraved by H. Pyall."; lettered lower center: "MAIL COACH BEHIND TIME."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | birds | bridles | bugle | carriage | coach (carriage) | coachman | driver | dust | genre subject | harness | hats | horses (animals) | landscape | road | speed | sporting art | time | trees | uniforms | wheels | whip
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Engraved by Henry Pyall, 1795–1833, British, Mail Coach Behind Time, 1827