- Portrait of the Short Horned Bull Patriot
- Mezzotint with hand coloring on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 20 x 23 5/8 inches (50.8 x 60 cm) and Image: 17 3/4 x 23 5/8 inches (45.1 x 60 cm)
Inscribed on back in graphite lower right: "153 | C"
Paul Mellon collector's mark
Lettered lower left: "Painted by Thomas Weaver."; lower right: "Engraved by Willm. Ward Engraver Extraordinary to H.R.H.the Prince of Wales and the Duke of York."; lower center: "Published by Thos. Weaver Shrewsbury Feby. 14. 1810. | PORTRAIT of the SHORT HORNED BULL, PATRIOT, | Bred by Mr. Geo.Coates - Now the property of John Loft. James Conington Thos. Marris & John Richardson Esqurs. | To the Right Honble. Charles Lord Yarborough. | Baron Yarborough of Yarborough in the County of Lincoln. President of the Agricultural Society for the Division of Lindsey in the said County. | This Plate is respectfully Inscribed by His Lordship's mych obliged & obedt. Servt. Thos. Weaver.
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- agronomy | animal art | bull | farming | husbandry | obesity | science | windmill
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Dan Q. Dao, THESE LIVESTOCK PORTRAITS WERE THE ULTIMATE DISPLAYS OF WEALTH IN 19TH-CENTURY BRITAIN, https://www.saveur.com/crazy-paintings-livestock-1800s-britain , Saveur, December 26, 2017, Available Online
Dudley Snelgrove, British Sporting and Animal Prints 1658-1874: A Catalogue, The Paul Mellon Collection , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 1981, NE960.3 G7 B75 + Oversize (Mellon Shelf) (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Ward, 1766–1826, British, Portrait of the Short Horned Bull Patriot, 1810
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.