Warren Hastings on his Arabian Horse
- ca. 1796
- Graphite and watercolor; extensive retouching of design on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper; previously all over mounted to canvas and wood strainer with black and gold residual accretion around edges from eglomise glass
- Sheet: 24 x 19 1/4 inches (61 x 48.9 cm) and Image: 21 5/8 x 16 3/8 inches (54.9 x 41.6 cm)
Inscribed in iron gall ink, lower right: "Copied from Geo Stubbs | by George Townly Stubbs | 1796"
"J Whatman" watermark
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- figure study | flowers (plants) | hat | horse (animal) | landscape | nobleman | portrait | trees
- Associated People:
- Hastings, Warren (1732–1818), governor-general of Bengal
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
George Townly Stubbs, 1748–1815, British, Warren Hastings on his Arabian Horse, ca. 1796
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.