Mrs. Siddons, in the Character of the Tragic Muse
- Mezzotint, etching and stipple engraving (first state) on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- 28 × 20 inches (71.1 × 50.8 cm), 25 × 18 inches (63.5 × 45.7 cm), and 21 7/8 × 16 inches (55.6 × 40.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "122. I selected this from several Proofs. GB"; inscribed on verso in graphite, upper right: "30 x 22 1/2 | 3"; lower right: "[...] | 4.4.0."
Lettered inside image, center: "JOSHUA REYNOLDS PINXIT 1784"; below image: "Sir Joshua Reynolds Pinxit. | Francis Haward Sculpt. A. R. | London, Publish'd June 4th, 1787 by Frans. Haward, No.29 Marsh Street Lambeth near the Turnpike."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- literary theme | tragedy
- Associated People:
- Siddons (née Kemble), Sarah (1755–1831), actress
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francis Haward, 1759–1797, British, Mrs. Siddons, in the Character of the Tragic Muse, 1787