Mrs. Siddons, in the Character of the Tragic Muse
- Mezzotint, etching and stipple engraving (first state) on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 28 × 20 inches (71.1 × 50.8 cm), Plate: 25 × 18 inches (63.5 × 45.7 cm), and Image: 21 7/8 × 16 inches (55.6 × 40.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "122. I selected this from several Proofs. GB"; inscribed on verso in graphite, upper right: "30 x 22 1/2 | 3"; lower right: "[...] | 4.4.0."
Lettered inside image, center: "JOSHUA REYNOLDS PINXIT 1784"; below image: "Sir Joshua Reynolds Pinxit. | Francis Haward Sculpt. A. R. | London, Publish'd June 4th, 1787 by Frans. Haward, No.29 Marsh Street Lambeth near the Turnpike."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- literary theme | tragedy
- Associated People:
- Siddons (née Kemble), Sarah (1755–1831), actress
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francis Haward, 1759–1797, British, Mrs. Siddons, in the Character of the Tragic Muse, 1787
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.