- The Infant Hercules
- Mezzotint (second state) on thick, rough, cream, laid paper
- Sheet: 26 × 18 3/4 inches (66 × 47.6 cm), Plate: 18 15/16 × 15 inches (48.1 × 38.1 cm), and Image: 16 1/16 × 13 7/16 inches (40.8 × 34.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "15 1/4/19 3/8 | #52"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "H.II."
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds Kt."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by Wm Ward Junr"; lettered, lower center: "The Infant Hercules | London Published March 1st 1810 by W Cribb 13 Tavistock Street Covent Garden"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Classical Mythology and Ancient History | cradle | divine | early life, prime youth of Hercules | Hercules strangles two serpents in his cradle | hero | infancy, upbringing of Hercules | infant | killing | religious and mythological subject | serpent | snake | strangling | strength
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William James Ward, ca. 1800–1840, British, The Infant Hercules, 1819
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.