IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by William James Ward, ca. 1800–1840, British, The Infant Hercules, 1819
The Infant Hercules
- Mezzotint (second state) on thick, rough, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 26 × 18 3/4 inches (66 × 47.6 cm), Plate: 18 15/16 × 15 inches (48.1 × 38.1 cm), Image: 16 1/16 × 13 7/16 inches (40.8 × 34.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "15 1/4/19 3/8 | #52"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "H.II."
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds Kt."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by Wm Ward Junr"; lettered, lower center: "The Infant Hercules | London Published March 1st 1810 by W Cribb 13 Tavistock Street Covent Garden"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Classical Mythology and Ancient History | cradle | divine | early life, prime youth of Hercules | Hercules strangles two serpents in his cradle | hero | infancy, upbringing of Hercules | infant | killing | religious and mythological subject | serpent | snake | strangling | strength
- Associated People:
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.